Re: Freelancer's Guide

Subject: Re: Freelancer's Guide
From: Herman Holtz <holtz -at- PALTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 16:48:53 UNDEFINED

> Best wishes,

> Okay, I'll add that stuff to the list. I'll have to think about these
>subjects a little; I must admit they seem a bit broad. What do you think the
>hot consulting fields are? (WWW, WinHelp, multimedia?).

> Thanks,

> Peter Kent

Consulting? I thought you were working on an upgrade of your book on
freelance tech writing, although I guess it is close to consulting. I would be
interested in knowing what the best fields are currently for tech writers. I
was a tech writer when the hot subjects were radar, missiles, launch systems,
avionics, and mainframe-size digital systems. (For example, I wrote about
digital communications gear for the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System,
but that was more than 30 years ago.) It was mostly about those and other
military goodies, and I haven't been directly into tech writing since,
although I have considered getti ng back into it. But it seems to me, from the
rather limited view I have of it now, that the focus is mainly on desktop
computers and related gear. Only today I steered someone to your current book
and other sources as leads for gaining entree into tech writing, but I need
soem up-t-date-information myself, and I suspect that I am not alone in that.
- Herm
***
Herman Holtz [holtz -at- paltech -dot- com], marketing consultant/freelance
writer. Author How to Succeed as an Independent Consultant, other
business books. Publisher of how-to reports. Email request for
free report on writing. Visit at http://www.crimson.com/em/