Re: "couple of questions"

Subject: Re: "couple of questions"
From: "Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862" <DANCER -dot- COLLEEN -at- A2 -dot- ABC -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 09:46:00 +1100

Our company must do things a little differently. Every graduate that
comes into IT whether to be a Business Analyst (mainly tech communicator)
or a programmer goes through the same induction. This includes
programming to ABC standards etc. All graduates have a degree or major
in computing or information systems, so we are all capable of coding
reasonably well. The Business Analysts (BAs) have a people slant. I find
that because I can code (although I usually don't) I find my relationship
with the developers is better. I don't tend to suggest stupid things that
the language can't cope with and have an understanding of how long a
change might take. I usually still ask for it but at least the developer
knows I understand what a pain it is going to be. I also found that
this knowlege helped with some of my clients, because I understood about
databases and could talk knowlegeably about them, my client found it
easier to trust me.

Although I would suggest grab the chance to learn C, make sure they don't
want you to do everything all the time. Have fun :)

Colleen Dancer
Business Analyst
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
dancer -dot- colleen -at- a2 -dot- abc -dot- net -dot- au