Writing and programming

Subject: Writing and programming
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 08:11:44 -0800

>Technical writing and computer programming are different professions
>requiring different skills.

True, but there is a lot of overlap.

The big difference is in what happens when the practitioner hasn't
completely mastered the skills. I think bad programmers have a harder time
continuing in their profession than bad writers do in theirs.

I think that good programmers can learn to write competently and good
writers can learn to program competently. I don't know of any bad writers
who now struggle along as bad programmers, but I think I've seen the
opposite variation. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro