Web Home Pages-Summary

Subject: Web Home Pages-Summary
From: Sheryl Sieracki <ssierack -at- ARINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 15:45:21 -0500

Thanks to those who responded to my query about developing
a corporate policy governing my company's
soon-to-be-deployed home page. Several people asked me to
post a summary, so here it is.

As I said in my original post, there is lots of stuff
available regarding page design, and some of the folks who
responded pointed me to some of that--some of which I had
already seen. Some good sites are:

Yale C/AIM WWW Style Manual--
http://info.med.yale.edu/caim/Manual_Intro.HTML

Australian National University Quality Guidelines and
Standards for Internet Information Resources--
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/SpecialProj/QLTY/QltyHome.html

WWW Virtual Library--
http://WWW.Stars.com/Vlib/Providers/Style.html

However, my objective was not to create a policy governing
page style, required elements, graphics file formats, etc.
That's being done by my coworker (to whom I forwarded
information about the URLs I received). My document is a
short, high-level corporate policy (to go in the policy and
procedures manual) that provides the company's philosophy
regarding our web presence, including *general*
responsibilities of involved parties.

Most of what I found is from universities. As expected, not
many corporations (that I could find) post their internal
policies on the web. Information that was useful came from:

Brown University--
http://www.brown.edu/webmaster/wpolicy.html

Virginia Tech--
http://jp.unirel.vt.edu/webguide/reqrec2.html

National Institutes of Health, Division of Computer Research &
Technology--
http://tmp.dcrt.nih.gov/dcrt/eidp/guidelines/html

So, for those of you who asked me to pass on my findings, I'd
suggest that you check out the above sites--and the ones that
some of these sites point to--and also perform your own
searches on the web. The stuff you find will give you a good
starting point from which you can develop something specific
to your organization.

Sheryl Sieracki
ssierack -at- arinc -dot- com
ARINC