Writing for a handicapped audience

Subject: Writing for a handicapped audience
From: Sue Ellen Adkins <sea -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 16:06:52 -0800

During the recent discusson of the Gutenberg Project, someone asked why would
anyone want to read books on a monitor when paper is so much easier to use.
Visually impared (should that be hyphentated?) readers have a limited number
of books available in large print. Even if the book is available, its large
size makes it difficult for someone with arthritic hands to handle.

I would expect visually impared readers to find on-line manuals more useful
than books. Are there factors tech writers need to consider when writing for
disabled readers? Has anyone done writing aimed at a handicapped audience?
(I'm thinking of something more unique than writing for a 7th-grade reading
level.)

Sue Ellen Adkins
sea -at- netcom -dot- com