Re: request from new list member

Subject: Re: request from new list member
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 16:48:01 -0400

Thespina <hadjm -at- MINERVA -dot- CIS -dot- YALE -dot- EDU> wrote:
>I could use some advice on getting started in writing,
>but I don't know whom to talk to...

You could start with your local STC chapter (Society for Technical
Communication). Many universities sponsor a student chapter. If Yale
doesn't have one, I'm pretty sure there is a regular chapter within
reasonable driving distance. Perhaps another member of this list can help
with contact information.

>Would you/Could you be of any
>help...?

We'll gladly help if we can. Lurk for a week or so, reading the list
messages and getting a feel for the issues we discuss and for the
personalities involved. Then jump in with a specific question, or a
comment on a message that someone else has posted.

The administrative message you received when you subscribed gave
suggestions for topics that can be discussed here. Other topics are
acceptable, as well, as long as they relate to technical writing and
related professional activities.

However, I strongly suggest that you avoid posting humorous poems or virus
warnings for awhile --- perhaps forever. Some of us are occasionally
deadline-stressed and irritable, and we can get a little ...um ...er
...overwrought when a Dr. Suess parody or GoodTimes hoax hits the list for
the 47th time.

>I'll not bother you until you say it's ok.

If you are in any doubt about whether your first question is appropriate,
try emailing one of us privately before you post it to the list. Or, you
could ask the list-owner. His name is Eric Ray, and his email address
should be on the welcome message you received when you subscribed.

If, by any chance, you haven't received the standard Administrivia
messages, let me know and I'll send you a copy of mine. There is some
useful information there, and you should keep a copy of it on an archive
disk somewhere.

Again, welcome.

K@
Kat Nagel________MasterWork Consulting Services
LIFE1(techwriting/docdesign) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
LIFE2(vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com

"Would you mind stepping outside
while we tear your proposal to shreds?"
---------New Yorker cartoon, 11/13/95