Re: Writing internships?

Subject: Re: Writing internships?
From: "Richard T. Glenner" <rtglennr -at- ONRAMP -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 14:27:05 -0600

Jason asks re his brother, intern tech writer: <snip>
>Is it a common practice for writing-based internships to be unpaid? Has =
anyone
>successfully sidestepped this policy?

I used to hire engineering students for internships before I started my =
own consulting business. There are two approaches your brother can =
take.

Contact the appropriate department at the College. Your brother should =
get his name on the list for a work internship.

Since, companies rarely advertise for interns, he should contact the =
types of companies that he would like to work for and sell them on using =
his talents at slightly above minimum wage as a part time student =
intern. Small and medium size companies are the most likely to hire. =
He should try to talk to a department head for his area of interest.

Good Luck,=20

Richard

Hope this helps. If you need more information, send me a e-mail or call.
Glenner, (Richard T. Glenner & Associates) 713-583-8765, E-mail to: =
rtglennr -at- onramp -dot- net