Re: Re. Finding a new job

Subject: Re: Re. Finding a new job
From: "Gallagher, Susan" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 15:58:33 -0800

Geoff H. had some good advice for Anne Casey on finding a new job. Here are
some more tips...

Contact every headhunter you can...
Many of the recruiters that handle programmers also handle tech writers (or
know recruiters that do). If they say they can't help, ask if they can pass
your resume along to someone who can. And don't be afraid to "bug" them.
Call at least once a week so they'll keep you on top of the stack (at least
mentally). They'll find you a job just to get you out of their hair! ;-)

Surf the internet...
There are lots of job listings out there -- use 'em!

Contact professionals societies...
Use the STC job hotline, go to their meetings (even if you're not a member,
yet), meetings of DP professionals and programmer associations. You never
know when a job lead is gonna pop up!

Also...
Always carry your resume with you! Leave one in the trunk of the car or the
glove box, have a few in your briefcase... 'cause ya never know! Maybe
develop a snappy little brochure instead of a full-blown resume to fit these
occasions. Definitely spend the $25 or so to get some 'personal' business
cards printed so you won't be without a card to pass around in networking
situations.

>Finally, don't forget networking. Friends and colleagues
>often have contacts who have contacts who have contacts who
>have jobs...

Words of wisdom, Geoff! I got my new job by handing my resume to the exiting
VP of marketing and saying, "Congratulations! Now, take me with you, you owe
me a favor!" -- and he did!!!

Hope this helps
Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com (until tomorrow)