Re: Job Decriptions and Salary Justification

Subject: Re: Job Decriptions and Salary Justification
From: Rick Lippincott <rjl -at- BOSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 14:04:15 EST

David Castro said:

>I have only recently graduated from college, and therefore haven't been
>in the industry for very long,.....

>I've heard that only 10-15% of a tech. writer's time is
>spent writing--to me, even that sounds high!

You might be interested to know that an hour ago, I was in a department
meeting where we were looking at our methods and procedures (in prep for
the first stages of ISO 9000 certification). Our department manager's
offhand comment was "80% of tech writing is talking."

Sounds like David's "recent graduate" observation is right in line with
folks that have been in the field for a long time.

Rick Lippincott
Boston Technology
Wakefield, MA
rjl -at- bostech -dot- com