Re: Teaching writing (was FWD: Illiterate America)

Subject: Re: Teaching writing (was FWD: Illiterate America)
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 13:05:11 -0500

Kat Nagel's description of her trials in learning proper grammar, and
Arlen's recital of his daughters' experiences, struck a nerve.

I didn't learn any formal grammar until I studied German in high school. I
was introduced to the parts of speech and sentence diagramming then. While
I don't remember much German, the English grammar I learned stuck with me.

As part of the technical writing certification program I recently enrolled
in. I had to take a Grammar and Punctuation course. I was relieved to find
out that most of what I do instinctively is correct. I also thoroughly
enjoyed the course, much to my surprise!

I have two sons, one in Grade 4 and one in Grade 8. Only when they each
moved into a program for gifted children did they get any exposure to formal
grammar. Before that, they were encouraged to be "creative" no matter how
incorrect the results. How frustrating, when you KNOW what you're doing is
wrong but you don't know how to fix it! And while they are both extremely
well-read and well-spoken, they HATE to write! I hope that changes with the
curriculum they have now.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor