Re: How much has tech writing increased?

Subject: Re: How much has tech writing increased?
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 09:39:39 -0700

This really puts the importance of accurate writing in perspective!

Certainly not all of us are in such sensitive areas. However, we do need
to be aware of the consequences of what we write to those who use our
documents. Those CAUTIONS and other warnings that we include--or should
include in our writing can be critically important.

On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, Win Day wrote:

> Rose, maybe lives don't weigh in the balance when you flub up. I write,
> among other things, refinery and chemical plant operating and safety
> manuals, and startup and shutdown procedures. People could die quite messily
> if I flub up. Whole communities could be evacuated if I really flub up.

> About 15 years ago, there was a train derailment in my city that
> necessitated a massive evacuation because of the chemicals spilled. I write
> about handling the same substances all the time. If the operators,
> following my procedures, release toxins into the environment, you can bet
> I'll get more than a slap on the wrist!

> I also document software that controls refinery and chemical plant
> processes. Again, I'd better be telling the operators the correct
> procedures to follow, or all hell could break loose. I've fought fires in
> refineries. I've watched a friend burn to death because nobody could reach
> him, and he was where he shouldn't have been. I don't want to EVER cause
> that to happen.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu