Censorship and Technical Communicators

Subject: Censorship and Technical Communicators
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 21:45:00 PST

While I am loathe to post political content to this list I feel I must post
the message below because of the dire consequences of this measure for
technical communicators. If you are a U.S. citizen and a technical
communicator I advise you to contact the White House immediately and demand
a veto of the telecommunications "reform" act.

If you think "I document software, this has nothing to do with me, remember,
censorship *always* begins with the SOBs -- and then, once in place, grows
to encompass many others whose thoughts are not acceptable to the guardians
of virtue.

And always remember, Galileo was *not* punished for his work -- the church
leadership already accepted Copernican theory. . . Galileo was punished,
threatened with torture, and locked up for *publishing* his work where the
masses could get it.

My apologies to the many of you who are not in the U.S. for the waste of
your bandwidth.

>CDT Policy Post No. 32 -- Broad Net-Censorship Proposal Approved

>Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 13:51:25 -0500
>To: fight-censorship+ -at- andrew -dot- cmu -dot- edu
>From: editor -at- cdt -dot- org (editor -at- cdt -dot- org)

>CONTENTS: (1) House Conferees Approve Sweeping Net-Censorship Proposal
> * White Proposal Approved, Then Gutted by Religious Conservatives
> * 2 Liberal Democrats Abandon the First Amendment
> * Senate Passage Expected Without Substantial Amendment
> * Court Challenge Likely
> (2) How To Subscribe To The CDT Policy Post Distribution List
> (3) About CDT, Contacting Us

>This document may be re-distributed freely provided it remains in its
>entirety. Excerpts may be re-posted by permission (editor -at- cdt -dot- org)

>(1) HOUSE CONFEREES APPROVE SWEEPING NET-CENSORSHIP PROPOSAL

>House Conferees Approve Sweeping Net-Censorship Proposal

>By a razor thin margin, members of the House Conference Committee on
>Telecommunications Reform have approved a broad proposal to censor
>constitutionally protected speech on the Internet. The provisions adopted
>today would make the Internet and Interactive media the most heavily
>regulated medium in the United States, and severely threaten the future of
>free expression and democratic values in the information age.

>The proposal, if agreed to by the full conference committee, would impose
>$100,000 fines and prison terms for anyone who posts any "indecent"
>material, including the "7 dirty words", the text of classic works of
>fiction such as The Catcher In The Rye, or Ulysses, artwork containing
>images of nudes, rap lyrics, in a public forum.

>CDT strongly opposes the legislation agreed to by the House conferees
>today. We believe this proposal threatens the very existence of the
>Internet as a means for free expression, education, and political
>discourse. The proposal is an unwarranted, unconstitutional intrusion by
>the Federal government into the private lives of all Americans.

>Indecent material is constitutionally protected speech which the Supreme
>Court has ruled can only be restrictive through the "least restrictive
>means". Material that has been considered "indecent" has included, among
>other things:

>* The so-called "7 dirty words"
>* The Catcher In The Rye
>* Sex and AIDS Education literature
>* Photographic, sculpted, and painted images of nudes
>* Rap Lyrics

>Posting any of the above materials in a public forum would be illegal under
>the provision approved today. Although it is unrealistic to expect that
>Federal law enforcement has the resources to go after each and every
>violation, the threat of $100,000 fines and 2 year prison sentences will
>result in a severe chilling effect over all online communications.

>CDT will devote all our efforts in the coming weeks to ensure that the full
>conference committee does not endorse the approach approved today by the
> [...]

John Gear (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com)

The Bill of Rights--The Original Contract with America
Accept no substitutes. Beware of imitations. Insist on the genuine articles.