Re: "Learning" Language

Subject: Re: "Learning" Language
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 17:05:54 -0800

> The current research by *some individuals* does not necessarily mean the
> theory is fact. Have they isolated a gene for this "hardwiring?" If so,
> can they distinguish which language the gene is hardcoded for? Do Chinese
> people have a gene for a Chinese "dialect", whereas French people have a
> gene for learning French?

I think you're shooting from the hip here, and, like some others who have
posted on this subject, you've hit your foot.

I don't recall anyone proposing specific genes for specific languages and
dialects. Why don't you find out what's actually being proposed before you
rush to shoot it down. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro