Re: gender neutral stuff

Subject: Re: gender neutral stuff
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 17:21:25 MST

> Kelly Mullins wrote:
>> Please. Grow up. No one's denying that sexism exists, but it's the use of
>> pronouns is not the place to look for it or decry it. People who do so
>> make a mockery of the real problems.

I don't necessarily agree with the "mental age groups"
explanation that Kelly summarized from somewhere, but I do agree
with the bottom line in his (her? Oh, my) last paragraph. The
issue is much larger than the two- and three-letter words being
quibbled over. This is my personal opinion, and I realize that real
life, on-the-job scenarios may dictate otherwise, but I say "so
what" if text about a secretary uses "she" or text about doctors
uses "he". As a living, breathing, functioning person in society
I am well aware that there are male secretaries and female
doctors. A pronoun is simply not THAT powerful or upsetting.

We're turning into a taboo society. Used to be that only cuss
words elicited such hostile responses. Now we have to watch how
we use simple, everyday words.

(No flames, please. I'm just having fun with my thoughts on a
Sunday evening.)

Bev Parks
bparks -at- primenet -dot- com