Re. Catalog design

Subject: Re. Catalog design
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 08:40:08 LCL

I've advertised this before, but the request for info. on
catalog design reminded me of an indispensable resource for
anyone who has to do design work as well as "just" writing.

"Before and After", 6 issues per year at $36 (U.S) per
year. c/o PageLab, 1830 Sierra Gardens Dr. #30, Roseville,
Calif. 95661-2912. (916) 784-3880 (Back issues available
for about $48/year.)

John McWade, in addition to being a superb designer, is a
good writer. He explains why a design works (or doesn't
work) better than anyone else in the business and shows you
how to make your own designs work. Most importantly (to me,
anyways), he does this from the perspective of how and why
people read, and doesn't use "artsy" (excuse the
pejorative!) language... this ain't no "modern art
explained" magazine. I recall an old issue on catalog
design, but even if not, browsing through the back issues
will help stimulate your creativity and will do so in the
context of how readers read.

It's a bit pricey if you base buying decisions on the page
count (typically 16 p.), but the info. is well worth the
price of admission.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.