Re: Boring Discussions

Subject: Re: Boring Discussions
From: "Thomas E. Potter" <TPotter243 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 20:45:46 -0500

At the risk of having another boring discussion about boring discussions,
consider the following observations.

I am afraid you will only get out of technical writing a measure of what you
put into it. You probably will never find an epiphany in it; you will only
find the satisfaction which comes from doing a good (sometimes excellent) job
helping others understand and use the technology which defines our
civilization. If you don't have an innate love of technology, you will find
the road difficult and the goal unsatisfying.

Discussions of grammar may be boring to some; however, language is our
instrument for achieving our goal of expressing ideas in unique and
(hopefully) memorable ways. As any artist, we must enjoy using the tools of
our chosen profession, or we will never be very good at it. I choose to learn
as much as I can about all facets of my chosen profession.

I hope you stay with us. Perhaps I'm wrong, and there is an epiphany out
there--one for you and one for me.

Tom Potter
Houston, TX 77043
TPotter243 -at- aol -dot- com