Remember the Audience

Subject: Remember the Audience
From: karen randolph <karen_randolph -at- HILLSPET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 09:39:07 CST

I'm shifting direction on the Changing our Language thread ...

In a Re:Changing our Language post, Tim Altom wrote:
>Most women ignore the indeterminate "he" unless it's ground into
>their faces.

To which Kris Olberg replied:
<<Opinion or fact? If fact, let's here the details.>>

This is a point I think should be considered, because *I think* the
majority of opinions on this list are from well-educated people who
have a "cosmopolitan" outlook.

I moved to Effingham, IL (where I am now) after living in New Orleans,
Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Nashville. I find that there is a HUGE
difference in attitudes on many issues between people here and people
in larger cities. (This may also have to do with the "Bible Belt"
theory too.)

Is there any evidence to back up any of the points that are being made
in these gender/language threads, based on *demographics*? i.e.,
where people live, education, age, etc. This could be good research
from which all of us on the list could benefit. (I looked in my STC
magazines, but didn't see anything.)

[FYI: I put the gender-issue question out company-wide, offering the 3
basic opinions that have been discussed on the list, and 52 people (46
women and 6 men said they didn't care either way; 1 (ONE) female said
she would prefer "she" used equally with "he"; and 16 people (13 women
and 3 men) said to use "he" consistently. Note: The employees here
are predominately women that grew up in this area.]

Any interest in the study? Contact me DIRECTLY. I'll digest to the
list (or ask for their assistance in an organized manner).

Karen Randolph
CORNERSTONE Documentation Coordinator
PSI
karen_randolph -at- hillspet -dot- com