Re: Why SGML?

Subject: Re: Why SGML?
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 12:01:50 -0500

At 11:20 AM 12/18/95, you wrote:
>Chet Ensign asks:

>I saw your posting yesterday where you said...

>>This problem is NOT limited to the armed forces. Consider an electronically
>>controlled power station. (Aren't they all nowadays?) The specs called for
>>proven equipment. It took two years to award the contract and five years to
>>build the beast.

>Can you tell me a bit more about that project? I'm writing a business case
>study book on SGML and this one sounds fascinating.

This was over 25 years ago and I was only periphally concerned. I worked for
one corner of British GEC and, at that time, another corner built power
stations.

Before that I worked for a company that manufactured "fertiliser of the
soil". Their purpose-built ingredient mixers came with things like spare
special gearing that could break quickly and, at the best, it would take
several weeks to make a replacement.

Isn't this normal mechanical engineering practice?

David (progressively more idiotic than ever) Ibbetson
Fantastic First Footing
Spiffing Saturnalia
Merry Christmas
Happy Hanukah
Yummy Yule
1995

David Ibbetson Phone (416) 363-6692
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com Fax (416) 363-4987
133 Wilton Street, #506
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5A 4A4