Changing the Language

Subject: Changing the Language
From: "Cornelisen, Renee @ SLG" <RCORNEL -at- SLC -dot- UNISYSGSG -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 11:12:00 MST

Sue Galligher said: " As a professional communicator, I will continue to be
a master of the language, not a slave to it. Tradition be damned."
********
Well said Sue! We women have allowed traditions counter to our interests to
go on far too long.

I still stand up for = s/he, hrs/hs, and hr/hm for starters. They look
informal now, but they could look perfectly formal if they had an
opportunity to go to the ball. Also they make the statement, "Look reader
we professional communicators made a positive effort, here to end bias, now
just choose the pronoun that is your own as you read. This is a new
tradition of equality, and it requires your participation." Kids learning to
read would love it ( it would trickle into the primers). The she's among us
would be happy not have to stretch our imaginations to be he's anymore, when
truth be told we didn't want to be he's in the first place. And the he's
among us would be relieved of having to hear complaints about ancient
traditions, which modern he's had no hand in setting.

Thoughts expressed here are my own.
Renee
rcornel -at- SLC -dot- unisysGSG -dot- com