Re: Changing our Language

Subject: Re: Changing our Language
From: Mercedes Abels <maa5906 -at- GRIFFON -dot- MWSC -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 14:21:25 -0600

Yes, Guy, some of us who are concerned with pronoun use are making
aliving at technical writing. It is an issue that comes up in our work,
in fact. Actually, I had a piece given to me today to rewrite because
someone had used "their" instead of "the operator" or some other
gramatically correct non-gender spacific term. The attorneys thoeugh the
singular/plural confusion might come up in court if someone gets hurt
using our product. It _is_ a real issue, not a silly little bone of
contention for outrageous femi-nazis. (sorry, general response to spcific
flame)

Marci