Re: Please stop vague language discussions

Subject: Re: Please stop vague language discussions
From: Eric Ray <Eric -dot- Ray -at- WCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 16:16:10 PST

On Tue, 19 Dec 1995 09:58:18 GMT Andrew Woodhouse wrote:

>*** FLAME MODE ON ***

>As Tech Writers, we are *users* of language. If we try to change
>language, people won't understand what we're talking about. Got it?
>This list is degenerating into something like a pub/bar(?) discussion of
>language, as I've seen very few arguments on that subject worthy of
>reading.
>Can we *PLEASE* kill off these language threads! Discuss them elsewhere!
..
>I just wonder what the listowner, Eric Ray, makes of all this nonsense?
Eric?

>*** FLAME MODE OFF ***

Eric would love to see a discussion of technical communication on
technical communication on TECHWR-L would be nicer, but that ranks
up there with a 150% tax-free salary adjustment in terms
of probability.

In regard to language threads, I'm very interested in those. I've
just subscribed to copyediting-l -at- cornell -dot- edu (same instructions
as techwr-l, replacing techwr-l with copyediting-l and
vm1.ucc.okstate.edu with cornell.edu) so I can follow up
on them. Political correctness as a topic of discussion interests me
less, therefore I won't be subscribing to PC-L, if such
a list exists.

Seriously, I don't see the relevance of most of the PC/gender
issues to TECHWR-L. The only real issue--he vs. gender neutral--
isn't really a target for reasonable debate because it's too
personal and heated. We could just agree to disagree on that one, just
like we do on Mac vs. Windows vs. OS/2 vs. UNIX.

Eric

Eric J. Ray | Eric -dot- Ray -at- wcom -dot- com
WorldCom, Inc. | W: 918-588-4140
1 Williams Center 29-5 | F: 918-588-2372
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74172 | P: 918-690-1314
Web: http://www.wcom.com/