"Increment" as a verb

Subject: "Increment" as a verb
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 09:37:14 -0800

I looked up "increment" in the _Business Dictionary of
Computing_ (published by John Wiley and Sons, ISBN
0-471-58574-2 for the paperback version; I've found it
very handy for resolving issues like this).

Although this dictionary doesn't list parts of speech with
any word (odd), several of the definitions of "increment"
indicate that it is often used as a verb with regard to
computing. One of the definitions listed for "increment"
is "to alter the value of a counter or register by a specified
value", which is the meaning in question.

So all you "incrementers" can breathe a sigh of relief:
it *is too* in the dictionary! :)

Faith Weber
EA Systems Inc.
weber -at- easi -dot- com