Re: Project estimates

Subject: Re: Project estimates
From: "Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225" <engstromdd -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 14:14:12 -0600

John Brinegar writes:

**********************
Several years ago, I created a spread sheet that used weights assigned to
factors like those above to calculate staff-days ("man-days" before we got
so concerned about gender). This satisfied management's desire for a
"scientific" method while allowing me to apply my years of experience to do
"seat of the pants" estimates. Consciously or unconsciously, I applied
weights that made the spread sheet value equal my "seat of the pants"
value.
**********************
You imply that there is somehow something wrong with this. That's what
project metrics (particularly for purposes such as setting staffing levels)
are all about. It's nothing more than a structured, best-guess estimate
of the level of effort required to produce a given product. Only a fool
would try to adhere to some sort of arbitrary benchmark without regard to
factors such as staff experience, project complexity, etc. Inability to
allow for those factors is a weakness in your methodology or toolset, not
a problem with your project management skills.

But, if you *don't* have the years of experience with the type of projects
you're required to estimate, you have to start *somewhere*. I gather this is
the original requestor's problem, and this is a reasonable reason to seek
an "industry standard" or "industry average."

Skoal,

Doug "Every gift that is given is given
ENGSTROMDD -at- phibred -dot- com is given for a reason."

-- Martin Bell

The preceding opinions and positions are mine alone, and are only
coincidentally related to those of Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.