the document development process

Subject: the document development process
From: Tammy Hale <tammyh -at- FGM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 16:45:21 -0500

John made several meaty suggestions for discussion on TECHWR-L. One that
particularly appealed to me was:

Methods for improving the document/product/system development process.

But before we get started discussing how to improve the process, I would be
interested in hearing what the document development consists of for other
people.

I work for a small software engineering company. At my company, the
engineers develop the system according to customer requirements, then I
write the user's manual for the system, and my boss (a writer/editor) edits
my work. I know that many companies include writers in the development
process. What other ways do your development practices differ from mine?
What works? What doesn't? What's helpful? What gets in your way?

*Please* post to the list. I think this is the sort of topic that needs to
be discussed among the group. Instead of complaining about the list and
making accusations such as "I can't believe any of you make money writing,"
we should contribute in a way that promotes the integrity and
professionalism of the list.

Thank you,

Tammy
tammyh -at- fgm -dot- com