Re: Page Count Estimates

Subject: Re: Page Count Estimates
From: Ron Miller <RSMH -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 18:27:19 -0500

In a message dated 95-12-21 14:17:58 EST, TLARSEN -at- NOVELL -dot- COM (Tamara Larsen)
writes:

>JoAnn Hackos, in "Managing Your Documentation Projects" (p 170) gives
>the following estimates:

>User guide 5 hours per page
>Software Applications Reference Manual 4 hours per page
>Hardware Maintenance and Troubleshooting Man. 8 hours per page

If I took 5 hours to write a page of documentation, my jobs would never get
done. That translates into 12.5 weeks of development working 40 hours per
week. In my experience that should be cut in half. Nobody I've ever worked
for has given me this kind of lead time--not that I wouldn't love to have it.
It just has never happened.

Ron Miller
rsmh -at- aol -dot- com