Re. More notes on translation

Subject: Re. More notes on translation
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 1995 11:12:01 +0100

Hello Geoff,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca an All am 21.12.95

gg> From: geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

gg> Translation. I can translate a 32-page report complete with
gg> graphics, tables and figures in about two days, including
gg> interruptions and bugging the author for clarification;
gg> that's probably about 10 pages of 8.5 X 11 single-spaced

by incident that supplements the message I wrote a few minutes ago: As a
writer I do up to 5 pages a day.

gg> Alexander von Obert, if you're listening,

Here I am:

gg> can you provide
gg> suggestions for European contacts in editing and localizing
gg> second-language versions of an English text?

I write this message from my BBS and this BBS is sponsored by BDUe, the
biggest German society for translators and interpreters. There are some 200
translators on my BBS and several of them have participated in software
localization. Please send my a messagge describing what you need and I will
forward it.

The other way: I have been quite active in our society for technical
communicators here in Germany since 1983. I know lots of people in this field,
too. Perhaps I can help you personally :-)

gg> Can anyone
gg> else provide Asian (etc.) contacts? I'm thinking of
gg> addresses for STC in other countries, or equivalent
gg> organisations (e.g., translation associations such as ATA).

In Germany:

Technical communicators:

tekom e.V.
Markelstr. 34
D-70193 Stuttgart
Germany
tek-b -dot- beutte -at- geod -dot- geonet -dot- de

Translators/Interpreters:
Here it is a bit more complicated as BDUe is comprised ot 17 entities: 16 for
all of our German states and one federal body. The federal body is at:

BDUe
Ruedigerstr. 79a
D-53179 Bonn
Germany
Fax +49 228 344290

But they can hardly help you. Alternatively you can ask my co-sysop here who
supervises all the translator stuff on my BBS:
Richard -dot- Schneider -at- twh -dot- msn -dot- sub -dot- org

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander