Re: Certification (long)

Subject: Re: Certification (long)
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 1995 16:39:34 -0500

At 10:42 AM 12/25/95 -0800, you wrote:

>I'd actually like to hear more about how the BCS evaluated members, as well as
>how other societies and professions are handling this issue. Anyone have any
>leads or extra information?

Basically, the academic part was by a relevant college course. At the time
degrees in computing were new and many of us came in from other disciplines.
(I trained as a mathematician. I believe my boss, a much better computer
scientist than I could ever pretend to be, trained in foreign languages.)

The practical had to be under a Fellow. I can't say anything useful about
this as I was "grandfathered" and didn't train anybody before I came to
Canada, where British Computer Society qualifications were, at the time, of
only academic interest.

David Ibbetson Phone (416) 363-6692
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com Fax (416) 363-4987
133 Wilton Street, #506
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5A 4A4