Vital Skills, Spell Checkers :-)

Subject: Vital Skills, Spell Checkers :-)
From: Tom T Kiersted/asf <Tom_T_Kiersted/asf -at- ASF-NOTES -dot- FOUNDRY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 16:48:10 EDT

Um. A spell checker might have suggested "grammar" for "grammer."
Please don't everyone dogpile on me next time I make a spelling blunder, my
spelling is atrocious. The only reason I point this out is the rather ironic
context of the mistake in these posts.
I think it reinforces Sue's point, that spelling is not among the vital
components in tech writing.
So, long live solid spellcheckers while in the meantime I pore over my work as
many times as I can in the proofing process to catch the strays.

>>John Bell proposed the following minimum skill testing:
>> - spell (I've met a few who rely on spell checkers!)
>> - use proper grammer
>> - organize thoughts logically
>> - write task oriented procedures
>> - research (knowing what questions to ask is important)

>I'm not sure that competency in the areas mentioned above would
>ensure that the certificate holder was a competent technical
>communicator. Spelling, IMHO, isn't quite as important as the
>ability to address multiple learning styles effectively.

The ideas, opinions, and language of the above message are all my fault, and in
no way does my employer even know what I'm saying, much less support it.