Re: Resumes - writing your own

Subject: Re: Resumes - writing your own
From: Herman Holtz <holtz -at- PALTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 1995 15:57:46 UNDEFINED

In article <9512212115 -dot- AA34835 -at- sea -dot- vip -dot- best -dot- com> Sue Ellen Adkins
<sea -at- netcom -dot- com> writes:
>Several years ago I was a victim of corporate downsizing. The company
>provided me access to several placement agencies which I visited one after
>another. All of the agencies required that I meet with a resume counselor
>before I could use any of their services. Each counselor declared my resume
>"terrible," or the equivalent, and felt that it was the reason I had not found
>another job. After having my resume rewritten four or five times, I was left
>with something I liked much less than my original.

Carl Boll's book on resumes (if I recall accurately, it is xecutive Jobs
Unlimited) is probably the most sensible one around, bar none. I used his
philosophy with great success a number of years ago, winning an executive job
almost immediately with a letter-resume that was less than one-half page! Your
resume is no different than any other marketing or sales piece: The reader is
interested in one thing only: What you can DO for him or her. The rest is eye
wash.

Remember that your resume cannot win you a job: It can only win you an
interview, and that is all you should have in mind as your objective in
writing and sending out your resume. Write your resume to pique the reader and
make him/her want to know more about you and what you can do for him/her.
Never mind your hobbies, your outside interests, your grades, and your
extra-curricular feats. Stick to how you help bring in business and
profits, and the rest won't matter much. - Herm

Herman Holtz [holtz -at- paltech -dot- com], marketing consultant & copywriter.
Publisher how-to reports on freelance writing, other business
skills. Email request for free report and information on custom
services available to help you to your own entrepreneurial success.
Visit me at http://www.crimson.com/em/ with any questions you have.