American Military-Style Style Manuals -Reply

Subject: American Military-Style Style Manuals -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 13:56:57 -0800

The postings re military style manuals (USGPO-style) prompt me to put
in a word for The Complete Plain Words by Sir Ernest Gowers, ISBN
0-87923-850-X, published in Boston in 1988 by David R. Godine. If
you like to read about how to write, you'll love Sir Ernest. Despite
his Britishisms (his intended audience was British officialdom), he
has plenty to say to Americans. Gowers, by the way, edited the
edition of Fowler's Modern English Usage now found in stores. His
life of Fowler in the preface ranks with the best life stories I ever
read.

>>> Thomas E. Potter <TPotter243 -at- AOL -dot- COM> - 12/22/95 4:28 PM >>>
Many of the problems we encounter as technical writers have been
addressed
(perhaps not always to our satisfaction) by government agencies in
their effort to manage. Many specifications are available from the
Government
Printing Office. They have outlets in most large cities, and catalogs
are available.

I heartily recommend MIL-M-38784, Manuals Technical, General Style
and
Format, for your bookshelf if you will be involved with any type of
government documentation. This will give you a general idea of how
government documents are prepared. It will also reference other more
specific documents.

Tom Potter
Houston, TX
TPotter243 -at- aol -dot- com