Lance for STC VP!!!!

Subject: Lance for STC VP!!!!
From: Wm Blank <wmblank -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 21:53:50 -0800

This is another blatant unpaid endorsement of Lance Gelein for STC 2nd
VP.

As a member of Lance's STC "home chapter" I've seen Lance's unmatched
dedication and warm friendship repeatedly over the years.

If you pay your 95 bucks to STC each year while asking yourself, "Is
there are real benefit here?" then you really ought to think about
supporting more energetic STC leadership.

The following is a "cut and paste" set of directions. Please peruse
them. And please do it.

-------------------

WE WANT LANCE!!

Tell STC that you want to put Lance Gelein's name on the ballot for
Second VP.

Lance Gelein, past Region 8 Director-Sponsor, has supported and advised

chapter members and leaders for years and continues to do so. His
commitment
to the technical communication profession and the Society of Technical
Communication is evident in his contributions to this region and the
Society
at large; and in his support and advise to chapter leaders and members.

Many of us feel strongly that Lance would be a positive member of the
STC
board. Last year, during a similar drive, Tom Comey, then President of
the
Silicon Valley chapter, wrote "He is committed to promoting technical
communication through the Society, to the professional development of
its
members, and to getting the best value for the membership dues."

If you believe, as we do, that Lance's name should be on next year's
ballot,
please sign the petition below, and return it by December 15 to:
Gwaltney Mountford
1486 Davis Ave
Concord, CA, 94518
Phone (510) 686-6613

Or FAX to (510) 686-0226 (no cover page is required)

Don't think that someone else, will do it. Sign now and assure us of a
positive choice this year.

I would like to see Lance Gelein on the ballot for Second Vice
President of
STC this year.

(Signature) --------------------------------

(Printed Name) -----------------------------------------------

(Address)--------------------------------------------------------

<><><><><><><><><><><><>><><>>>><><><><><><><>

POSITION STATEMENT AND BACKGROUND FOR LANCE GELEIN

Professional Experience
-----------------------------------
Over 17 years experience in technical communication. Experience
includes:
o technical writing
o user interface design
o electronic media
o training program development
o proposal writing
o marketing communications (MARCOM)
o multi-media development

How Has Your Experience Prepared You for This Office?
------

My experience as chapter president, manager of the Northern California
publications competition, chapter employment manager, and Region 8
Director-Sponsor, along with my professional work experience, has
prepared me
for the position of Second Vice-President.

During my tenure as chapter president, the chapter won the Chapter
Achievement
Award, increased membership, led the Northern California Publications
Competition, held the largest Writer in the Workplace conference in
chapter
history, and won the Society Newsletter Competition award of
Distinguished.
Under my leadership as Director-Sponsor, Region 8 experienced
membership
growth, a greater sense of regional unity, implemented the first STC
Internet
Web server, and held the first two Region 8 Conferences. Additionally,
the
region grew by three new chapters with many dormant existing chapters
returning to good health.

My professional experience includes a wide variety of technical
communication
positions beginning in the late 70's as a proposal writer for
government
contracts, moving to the insurance industry and then to high tech
companies.
My work experience includes both full-time employee and independent
contract
assignments.

Why Do You Believe You Should Be Selected as a Candidate for This
Office?
-----

I should be selected based on my past performance as director-sponsor,
chapter
president, chapter employment manager, and my wide variety of
professional
experience. These experiences have prepared me to motivate and lead my
fellow
communicators to meet the challenges they face in their careers.

What Is the Most Important Issue or Problem Facing the Society?
----

The most important issue facing the Society is helping our members
prepare for
the changing world of technical communication. This means taking the
lead and
looking forward to see what the future holds. We are faced with new
challenges
each day as technical communicators, no longer able to be simply
writers,
editors, or graphic artists, we are required to be all-in-one
communicators.
As a Society it is our job to guide and help our membership prepare for
this
challenge. This includes researching new arenas of communication,
presenting
our findings to the members, and offering training opportunities. The
world of
technical communication is changing more and more rapidly and we must
work
together to prepare for the challenge. As Second Vice-President my
focus would
be preparing and encouraging our members to grow in their profession.
It is
truly an exciting time to be in technical communication.