Re: Tech Writing vs. Programming salaries

Subject: Re: Tech Writing vs. Programming salaries
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 06:45:00 -0600

Another thing I would also question, is why, when programmers get
paid a considerably better wage than writers do, a programmer would
*want* to do the tech writing. It isn't like any of the source
writing they are taught (whether it be self taught or schooled).

Because putting words together coherently is also (perhaps even more)
satisfying?

I do both programming and writing, both at my day job and my "midnight"
occupations. Even now, there are plenty of computer support tasks I'm
called on to do. And I have to admit to getting a major rush when I can
make something happen in the real world (a robotic arm move, a battery test
station hum into life, etc.) simply by pushing a few selected electrons
around a computer screen.

But I also get a rush out of seeing comprehension spread across the face of
someone reading my words, knowing that I've explained something new to
them; that their knowledge of the world around them has increased, thanks,
in some part at least, to me. I know it sounds corny; I can't help it. I
get a big kick out of turning on a light in what has so far been to someone
else a darkened room.

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
In God we trust, all others must supply data