Re: Certification

Subject: Re: Certification
From: George Allaman <gallama -at- LOOKOUT -dot- ECTE -dot- USWC -dot- USWEST -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 1996 16:45:51 -0700

On Fri, 5 Jan 1996, Robert Plamondon wrote:

> While certification gives a criterion on which to sort resumes, that
> isn't hard to do now. The hard thing to do is hire writers who perform
> well in the specific job at hand. As most of us who have hired writers
> know, this doesn't correlate well to credentials. Very often a
> secretary will magically blossom into a fearless, death-defying tech
> writer before your very eyes, while people with the right credentials,
> good recommendations, excellent samples, perfect test scores, wonderful
> interviewing skills, and precisely relevant prior experience will
> fail miserably.

Thanks for your well-expressed reply, Robert, but I'm not convinced yet. It's
no good telling me that sometimes credentials mean nothing. Of course it's
true, but surely you aren't positing that it's always true? I would go so far
as to say that it is only true a minority of the time. Therefore, a
certification more often than not indicates a certain level of competence.
This is useful information.

More on this in a later message.

|George Allaman | |
|Tech Writer | <clever, meaningful |
|Denver, Colorado | quip which somehow |
|Office (303) 624-1619 | summarizes my life |
|Home (303) 771-8060 | philosophy> |
|Alternate: georgea -at- csn -dot- net | |