Re: Quote Marks

Subject: Re: Quote Marks
From: George Allaman <gallama -at- LOOKOUT -dot- ECTE -dot- USWC -dot- USWEST -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 08:44:51 -0700

On Tue, 9 Jan 1996, Tracy Boyington wrote:

> So, while we're all here, let's come up with a good way to do this.
> I've used italics for things the user types, small caps for keys
> (such as ENTER or F3), bold for menu commands. I'm not saying
> these are best; just that this is what I've used. And the punctuation
> situation has always bothered me. What does everybody else do?

I'm interested in the consensus on this one, too.

I was taught - and I probably erroneously assumed it was the industry
standard - that anything you read from the screen should be courier, anything
you type in or click on should be bold. However, when indicating a single
key, enclose caps in angle brackets, as in <ENTER> or <CTRL>+<F3>. I was told
never to capitalize words except in these angle brackets. Italics I thought
were reserved for introducing new terms.

|George Allaman | |
|Tech Writer | <clever, meaningful |
|Denver, Colorado | quip which somehow |
|Office (303) 624-1619 | summarizes my life |
|Home (303) 771-8060 | philosophy> |
|Alternate: georgea -at- csn -dot- net | |