Re: Sentence ending with most prepositions

Subject: Re: Sentence ending with most prepositions
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 20:09:05 IST

What did you bring the book I don't want to be read out of up for?

** Now I've lost all my faith in Mensa. To begin with, the sentence
ends with exactly one preposition, since "up" is used as an adverb.

Secondly, there is no problem ending a sentence with as many
prepositions as you like.

1 preposition: Who was that lady I saw you with?

2 prepositions: Who was that gentleman I saw that lady I saw
you with with?

3 prepositions: Who was that lady I saw that gentleman I saw that
lady I saw you with with with?

And so ad infinitum. Harrumph and phooey.

||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
|| You can't judge right by looking at the wrong. - Willie Dixon ||