Help - Negotiating a percentage

Subject: Help - Negotiating a percentage
From: Emily Skarzenski <eskarzenski -at- DTTUS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 12:15:15 CST

I'm looking for some wisdom from the contractors out there.

I may be working on a project soon for a dentist who's starting up a
side business to sell a hardware-type product he's invented. I won't
go into details, but his product is a very interesting idea with good
to excellent market potential.

Since this will be the first time he's ever commissioned
documentation, I figure he may have sticker shock when he sees my
estimate. I'm thinking that perhaps I could lower his up-front
investment in documentation by accepting a piece of the profits in
exchange for some (or all) of the cost of the doc.

Do any of you have experience in negotiating for a percentage of
profits in exchange for some or all of your contract fees? If so, what
advice can you offer? Since I already have a full-time job, I don't
really need to get cash up front for this contract; if it would
benefit me, I'd be glad to take a percentage.

Any help is appreciated!

Emily Skarzenski
Deloitte & Touche/ICS - Chadds Ford, PA
eskarzenski -at- dttus -dot- com