Being brief

Subject: Being brief
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com>
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 1996 20:54:27 -0400

K. Watkins asked the source of "I am sorry to write such a long letter, but
I did not have time to make it shorter."

The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations ascribes it to Blaise Pascal. "Je n'ai
fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu le loisir de la faire
plus courte." and translates: "I have made this [letter] longer than usual,
only because I have not the time to make it shorter."--Lettres Provinciales
(1657) no. 16

David Ibbetson Phone (416) 363-6692
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com Fax (416) 363-4987
133 Wilton Street, #506
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5A 4A4