Re: appears versus is displayed

Subject: Re: appears versus is displayed
From: Sharon Rosenthal/MANUGISTICS <Sharon_Rosenthal -at- MANU -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 10:40:12 -0500

Beryl Doane writes:
I'd like to get opinions on using "the foobar menu is displayed"
vs
"the foobar menu appears."'

'My training and experience with PCs tells me that novices are often
intimidated
by computers, and that "appears" is too much like magic. While "is
displayed" is
passive, the reader does not need to know who/what displays the menu.'

We write: The system displays the foobar menu.

Hope this helps.

TTFN
Sharon Rosenthal
sharon_rosenthal @manu.com