Clear Rule Writing

Subject: Clear Rule Writing
From: "HOLA235 -at- WLNIVM1" <HOLA235 -at- LNI -dot- WA -dot- GOV>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 10:52:10 GMT

Laura Brand-Bauer (formerly Howell) Management Analyst

I've only seen one person (someone at Dupont) talk about specific issues
related to my work. I'm in a regulatory reform position, (re)writing
Washington State workplace safety and health (WISHA, like OSHA, only
different) rules in clear rule writing (plain language, whatever you
want to call it).

I have 4 and 1/2 years of administrative experience in safety and
health, and have learned a TON by osmosis. I have NO experience in rule
writing, but I've done all kinds of technical writing. Most recently, I
wrote an employer guide to setting up an ergonomics program and workers'
compensation insurance policies.

They love me here because they think that no one else in the agency
could to a good job on the rule rewriting. (I like to help maintain that
myth.) I feel pretty confident and proud of the work I'm doing. BUT,
every now and then, I get a little bit overwhelmed by the project.

What I'm looking for from y'all is mostly war stories on how you've
dealt with any of these issues in similar work:

* The "we/you"/personal pronoun style. I.e., "You (meaning the employer)
must ensure that..." I've had some success convincing our management we
can do this.

* Rewriting something that NO ONE can tell you the meaning of.

* Replacing specification-based rules with performance-based rules.

* Comparison formats, rule publication formats, etc.

* Anything else you think might be helpful for me to consider or learn from.

Thanks for your help.

MS: 44620 Team Standards
360-902-4504 Committed to reg reform