Re: Manuals on CD-ROM

Subject: Re: Manuals on CD-ROM
From: Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 11:21:00 PST

LURK MODE OFF:

Kent wrote:

>Our company is investigating the possibility of distributing our manuals
>on CD-ROM, possibly as an adjunct to paper distribution or possibly (to
>my dismay) as a replacement for the paper distribution.

Ah, the '90s. How many times can *you* change skill sets?

Kent, check out Cisco Systems of Menlo Park, CA. They made a nice
presentation at the 1995 STC Conference in Washington, D.C. that went over
very well. Cisco manages to release every current document on a CD-ROM every
month to a set of subscribers under a program called UniverCD. They also
charge about $2,000 per year for the service. While you may not be that
ambitious, or even capable of charging that much, you'll be interested in
the how they're packaging their documents with a reader and getting it out
to the world.

Cisco uses KnowledgeSet Retrieval System of Sunnyvale, CA. for their
publishing tool.
IBM makes a tool called BookManager (bookmgr -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com).
There's lots more; maybe someone else on the list knows a couple, or has
better experience than mine?

As far as pros and cons, we haven't taken this route yet, but it looks like
we may someday. Save a tree, use beach sand, as my manager expressed it.

Garret Romaine
gromaine -at- radisys -dot- com
- Endeavor to perservere