Re: WinWord and Anti-Virus Macros

Subject: Re: WinWord and Anti-Virus Macros
From: Beryl Doane <BDoane -at- ENGPO -dot- MSMAILGW -dot- INTERMEC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:21:00 PST

The Microsoft scanprot.dot template is designed to warn you
when you open a file that contains macros. It also limits you
to opening only one file from the File Open dialog box.

This "protection" is useful for the general public, but it creates
problems if you have customized WinWord with your own
macros or with add-ins like RoboHelp.

I used scanprot.dot (from MS) to clean up my existing files
(local and network), and then I deleted the macros from my
normal.dot template. I can use my own macros, I can open
more than one file at a time, and I can periodically use
scanprot.dot to check for reinfection.

Read the readme.doc files for info on the exact macros that
are installed.

The following paragraph is taken from the readme.doc for
scanprot.dot.

*To completely remove the Macro Virus Protection tool,
*click Macro on the Tools menu. In the Macros Available In list,
*click Normal.dot (Global Template). Click the AutoExit macro
*and click Delete. Also delete the following macros: FileOpen,
*ShellOpen, and InstVer. This will remove macro virus protection
*from your system.

To reinstall the virus protection, open scandot.prot in Word again.
Don't delete this file if you want to periodically check your files.

If you prefer to always have the virus check available, you can still
use macros. When you open a file and get the warning message,
select the option for opening the file as is. If you open the file
without it's macros, you can only use macros that are in
normal.dot.

Beryl Doane
bdoane -at- intermec -dot- com