Cross-platform compatible and maintain jumps

Subject: Cross-platform compatible and maintain jumps
From: RSMH -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 20:47:35 -0500

Hi:
I'm looking for the perfect tool, but I'm not quite sure it exists. Perhaps
you can help me. I want to produce an on-line document. I'll be using RTF
files coming from a tool called AutoDoc that I will translate into Word
documents, where I will apply a style and format and translate into some sort
of on-line tool such as Adobe Acrobat.

I need a tool that is cross-platform compatible such as Adobe Acrobat. In
fact Acrobat is perfect in every respect but one; if I need to go back to my
origianl text to edit the source document, I lose all of hypertext links I
created in the PDF file. This is a big deficiency for me.

I understand Guide Passport allows me to maintain these jumps via a template
file that acts as a buffer between the source document and the final "Guide"
document. Unfortunately, it costs 3 times as much as Acrobat and it lacks
cross-platform compatibility.

Is HTML my best bet here? Can I publish on-line documents using HTML? Can you
read HTML on UNIX, Windows, DOS, and Mac?

This list has always been invaluable to me in helping to solve these
difficult quandries and as always I deeply appreciate any help you supply.

Thanks.
Ron Miller
rsmh -at- aol -dot- com