alpha burst activity [medical]

Subject: alpha burst activity [medical]
From: Brad DeMond <bdemond -at- SUMS -dot- SHIGA-MED -dot- AC -dot- JP>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 10:35:41 +0900

I've been going over an article entitled "Sleepiness in long distance truck
driving: an ambulatory EEG study of night driving." In the study, the
"alpha burst" activity of subjects is measured as, it seems form the
context, an indicator of wakefulness. Can anyone tell me what alpha burst
activity is? It's clearly brainwave activity, but if it indicates
wakefulness, then what would indicate drowsiness? Is there such a thing a
"beta" activity?

Any help appricated.

Brad DeMond