K vs k

Subject: K vs k
From: chuckm -at- MDHOST -dot- CSE -dot- TEK -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 12:49:01 PST

David Dubin wrote:

> Brad Barnes, in his response to my suggestion that the decade of 2000 be
> called 2K wrote the following, "No, 2K won't do. 1K means 1024, and 2K
> means 2048. I guess you could refer to the years 1924 as 1K and 2048
> as 2K..."

> Although he is correct as far as computers go, most of the rest of the world
> and the American military will tell you that K stands for Kilo..., which of
> course, stands for SINGLE THOUSANDS in the metric system. After all Brad, does
> a 5K run cover the distance of 5120 meters?

And the American military and the rest of the world would be wrong. :-)
The SI symbol for kilo is lowercase k, not uppercase K. I've noted a
convention that arising that K represents 1024 and k represents 1000. Thus,
the 5k run would be 5000 meters.

Chuck Melikian
I don't speak for nobody, not even me!