Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 28 Jan 1996 to 29 Jan 1996

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 28 Jan 1996 to 29 Jan 1996
From: SUZANNE PYLE <comline -at- STAR -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 23:12:34 -0500

Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to subscribe to get the *individual*
messages ---not the digest version! Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Suzane

At 12:00 AM 1/30/96 -0600, you wrote:
> [...]

>> --
>> |Fidonet: Alexander Von_obert 2:2490/1719
>> |Internet: avobert -at- twh -dot- msn -dot- sub -dot- org
>> |
>> | Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly his own.

>Thanks to Alexander and Stuart Burnfield for replying, but I have found a
>freeware tool called ImageMagick that does *exactly* what I want. It comes as
>source code and has to be built, so can be used on whatever flavour of UNIX you
>use.

>If anybody else uses UNIX workstations for documentation and has lots of
>images/screendumps, etc. I heartily recommend it's use. It can, from the
command
>line, amongst many other fancy things, create "Visual Image Directories" with
>configurable thumbnails of all files in a directory (it works out the file type
>automagically). These can then be copied to a different directory (we have set
>up a catalogues directory) and then displayed, the original images opened and
>edited, etc.

>If anyone's interested, I can mail them the help documentation (HTML) so they
>can find out if they could use it.

>Regards

>Andrew Woodhouse
>Technical Writer
>US WEST ISG
>Borehamwood, UK
>awoodhou -at- mpc-uk -dot- com

>------------------------------

>Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 16:17:20 +0800
>From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
>Subject: interesting terminology puzzles

>Brad Connatser <concom -at- USIT -dot- NET> wrote:
>> What To Call the Next Decade

>the alt.usage.english newsgroup is the home of interesting terminology
>puzzles. This question has come up there more than once.

>Other techwr-l perennials to be found in the alt.usage.english FAQ:

> split infinitive
> "between you and I"
> "different to", "different than"
> preposition at end
> "shall" vs "will", "would" vs "should"
> "that" vs "which"
> "." after abbreviations
> ," vs ",
> "A, B and C" vs "A, B, and C"
> "a"/"an" before abbreviations
> "rule of thumb"
> "-ize" vs "-ise" spelling

>It's not that a.u.e. has the definitive answer to any of these, but it
>usually throws up every alternative and shade of opnion.

>Regards
>---
>Stuart Burnfield (slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au) Voice: +61 9 328 8288
>Functional Software Fax: +61 9 328 8616
>PO Box 192
>Leederville, Western Australia, 6903

>Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 20:35:18 1000
>From: loryn <loryn -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
>Subject: Re: Any Web Page Designers Out There?

>I got ten or twenty copies of this in my mail box Richard.

>If you have a problem posting, please correct it soon

especially Baltimore. The figures i have been seeing of late (40-50 per
hour) seem a bit higher than what i am being told. Just wanted some real
quotes from technical writers in the area.