Another thing about 2000

Subject: Another thing about 2000
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:44:51 -0500

John Wilcox writes:

The addition of an extra day (oops, there's a superfluous modifier) every
four years to correct for the fact that a day is slightly less than 24
hours long results in a tiny overcorrection. So supposedly each year
that is divisible by 400 is NOT supposed to be a leap year. In spite of
this, a zillion programs have been written to use the standard leap year
algorithm. Simply to avoid patching so many programs, I suppose 2000
will indeed be a leap year. Have you heard anything definite?

========================

Almost everybody is now using the Gregorian calendar. [The main exception is
the Orthodox Church. Orthodox Christmas Day (25 Dec in the Julian Calendar)
corresponds to Jan 7 of the following year in the Gregorian calendar.]

Under the Gregorian calendar centuries are only leap years if they are
divisible by 400. e.g.
1900 was NOT a leap year
2000 will be a leap year
2100 will NOT be a leap year.

David (the idiot) Ibbetson
end

David Ibbetson Phone (416) 363-6692
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com Fax (416) 363-4987
133 Wilton Street, #506
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5A 4A4