scanning tables, line art into FrameMaker

Subject: scanning tables, line art into FrameMaker
From: Mark I Halpern <Mark_Halpern -at- SMTPGATE -dot- TESSERACT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 14:18:08 PST

Colleagues,

I am responsible for recommending to my company a scanner/OCR product that
will enable us to turn hard copy, as directly as possible, into FrameMaker
files. I am finding that the low-end products, such as those reviewed in
PC Magazine in October '95, seem not to be able to do this directly; they
seem to involve scanning, applying OCR software to convert the scanned
image to an ASCII (or Word) file, then importing that file into
FrameMaker.

So my first question is, does anyone know of a product that will scan a
page of text directly into FrameMaker? (Logitech tells me that they
can do this with any wordprocessor that is TWAIN-compliant; Adobe's
Tech Support desk wasn't able to tell me if FrameMaker is
TWAIN-compliant; can anyone tell me?)

Secondly, we would like the product to be able to scan tables and line art
in "intelligently"; that is, to scan them in not simply as graphics, but
to turn them into editable constructs, just as it turns printed characters
into editable text.

My next question: does anyone know of such a product?

Thanks,

Mark Halpern
mark_halpern -at- tesseract -dot- com