Re: Usage of "that"

Subject: Re: Usage of "that"
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 18:40:40 -0500

At 07:42 AM 2/2/96 EST, you wrote:

>> Stan Radomski suggests:
>>
>> "Ensure hood is securely fastened by tightening four bolts to 45 +/- 5 inch
>> pounds."
>> =================

>And David Ibbetson replies:

>> What's that in metric?
>>

>Not only did I ignore our neighbors to the north (and south, and east, and
west)
>I didn't even write the sentence quite right.

>The US version should read:

>"Securely fasten hood to body by tightening four bolts to 45 +/- 5 inch-
>pounds."

>Canadian version should read:

>"Securely fasten hood to body by tightening four bolts to 0.5 +/- 0.05
> kilograms-meter."

>Other English language versions should read:

>"Securely fasten bonnet to body by tightening four bolts to 0,5 +/- 0,05
> kilograms-meter."

>The above statements lead me to ask a question...

>Which metric measurement would be used in place of the US "45 inch-pounds"?
>The only two choices I know of are "52,000 grams-centimeter" and "0.5
kilograms-
>meter". (Or should I have said "52.000 grams-centimer" and "0,5 kilograms-
>meter"?)

1) I think it should be "kilogram-metres" outside the US (Note (a) the
placing of the plural, (b) the spelling "metre".)

2) I can't think of any English-speaking country that uses a decimal comma,
rather than a decimal point. Doubtless somebody will enlighten me.

David (the frigid idiot) Ibbetson
end

David Ibbetson Phone (416) 363-6692
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com Fax (416) 363-4987
133 Wilton Street, #506
Toronto, Ontario
Canada M5A 4A4