Click, Choose, or Select?

Subject: Click, Choose, or Select?
From: "Brad Barnes (T)" <blb -at- FORMTEK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 18:59:16 -0500

Here are the guidelines we worked out where I work:

CHOOSE: to choose a menu command, menu item, list, or list item.
example: Choose File->Import->Format. Choose Format->Font->Courier.

SELECT: to select or highlight, such as radio buttons, check boxes, or an objecton a list. You MUST be able to *deselect* the item without closing screens or windows in order to have selected it. In other words, if you can't deselect it, you couldn't have selected it in the first place.
examples: Select the options on the check list that you require. Verify the options you require are selected (eeeeeeeek passive! <gasp!>).

CLICK: to click a button or icon.
examples: Click OK. Click Cancel. Click the Excel icon.

Brad Barnes
Technical Writer