[no subject]

From: Emily Skarzenski <eskarzenski -at- DTTUS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 14:39:47 CST

Merrie Rivas <merrie -at- stateoftheart -dot- com> asked:

> Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct and
> why/why not?
>
> 1. The record description is a text entry which has no conditional
> logic.
>
> 2. The record description is a text entry which does not have
> conditional logic.

Both sentences are grammatically correct, although I would add a comma
before "which."

I prefer the first sentence, however, because it has a positive verb
(has). Negative verbs, such as the one in the second sentence (does
*not* have) are harder for most readers to understand. I prefer to add
the negative to the object, as in the first sentence (*no* conditional
logic).

Emily Skarzenski
Deloitte & Touche/ICS - Chadds Ford, PA
eskarzenski -at- dttus -dot- com